Monday, April 19, 2010

First entry - garden set-up


Blogging!
Who would have thunk it.
I'm going to use this in lieu of a paper and pen notebook to record garden data.

First, dug up some turf and weed about 10 x 8 feet with a spade shovel. Harder than it sounds!. Built a box around that with scrap lumber on the west side of the house. It will get morning sun and partial afternoon sun with some shade - might be a good thing in the summer. The first photo shows the rough box, 9' x 7' after about a cubic yard of topsoil and with 3 bales of straw on the sides. I bought the topsoil in bulk from a nursery in White Hall (Amanda's) and the straw from Jones Feed and Garden, also in White Hall. I hauled another half-yard of topsoil and followed that with a half- yard of black "super soil" also from Amanda's. The topsoil cost about $9 a half-yard and the super soil $18 so I spent quite a bit on dirt!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I wish I had enough sun to grown vegetables....all these trees...I have a love/hate relationship with them...because they deny me vegetables...but I get cool birds and lots of shade and probably pay less in electricity....

    good luck

    ReplyDelete