Monday, April 19, 2010

Plants in the ground


Today, April 19, I put plants in the ground! Tomatoes actually went in yesterday including an "upside down" planting that I'm trying for funsies. Put in 6 tomatoes (4 in box, i1upside-down and one in a straw bale- more about that later). I forget the variety but they're a big tomato, not a cherry. Today I went to Shell-Ross, bought red-tip lettuce, red bell pepper, burpless cucumber, yellow squash and sweet basil plants, and purple beauty eggplant and beet seeds. Planted all that except the squash, pepper and cukes which i intend to put in the straw bales. I have watered the bales down for 3 days and today I put a half-cup of 32-0-0 on each and watered it in well. I'm going by the recipe found here http://www.carolinacountry.com/cgardens/thismonth/march06guide/straw.html for straw gardening, so I have several more days of prep before I can plant the final veggies. The basil went in a pot on the front porch. The picture above was taken after planting today.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed! Are you going organic? Can't wait for tomato and cucumber sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete